What is an API key?
API keys are a way to grant third-party tools and applications (in this case our website) partial read-only access to your Guild Wars 2 account. This might sound a little scary, but you can rest assured that all your personal information (such as your email, password, phone number, etc.) are completely protected and inaccessible with any form of API key.
Why do I need it?
The registration process uses the key to determine that you are who you say you are. While this is not a definitive method (since you can share your API keys with others), we trust that you have handled your API keys responsibly and that they will not be misused. Once the we have verified your identity, the retrieved information, as well as your API key, will be discarded and you are free to delete the API key if you so desire.
Where do I get one?
Creating a new API key is a simple process. If you have never done so, you can follow the steps below:
- Go to https://account.arena.net/applications/create.
- You will probably need to log in to your ArenaNet account first.
- Select a name for your API key and make sure the "account" checkbox is ticked.
- Click on the button below.
- Copy the key you've created and paste it into the registration form.